Christchurch’s Cathedral Square Then and Now. View the similarities and differences from before the 2011 earthquake to last year.
We came across these two images in our image library today and thought we’d share them with you. They give you an opportunity to see the changing face of this New Zealand City. Portions of these images were published in our latest Christchurch Comparison Photo Book.
View from the ChristChurch Cathedral Spire 2008
How many times did you climb the Cathedral Spire? If you did, the top image shows the view you’d see looking west. From left to right:
- Colombo and Hereford Street intersections, with the ANZ Bank building behind the Chalice.
- Next to this are the IBIS Hotel and Telecom building.
- Then the original Central Post Office (1879).
- Behind this is the Regent Theatre (originally the Royal Exchange Buildings 1905)
- At the back is the Christchurch Police Station and Clarendon Tower
- On the right is the Anthony Harper Building.
Did you ever go the market that was regularly held in the Square?
What about the food vendors? Who was your favourite?
View from Novotel Christchurch, August 2015
The damage from the Christchurch 2011 Earthquake was significant. Four years later, many of the buildings visible in the 2008 photograph have been demolished.
- The fate of the ChristChurch Cathedral has been an ongoing hot debate between the Anglican Church and the people of Christchurch. A decision is still to be made, which has stagnated rebuild plans in Cathedral Square.
- Signs of the rebuild are clearly visible n the left of the 2015 photo, with the BNZ Centre in Hereford Street, stretching along Colombo Street to Cashel Mall.
- On the right, the City Council building (Hereford Street) and HSBC Tower (Worcester Boulevard) survived the earthquake.
- IBIS Hotel has reopened.
- The Telecom (now Spark) building at 109 Hereford has survived but its future use is undecided.
- Plans for the Old Post Office building are on hold.
- The trams continue to operate, on a circuit that has been expanded to Cashel and High Streets.
More of Christchurch’s Cathedral Square Then and Now Photos
Our Christchurch book has more comparison images of Cathedral Square and other parts of the central city, suburbs, Sumner, Lyttelton, Akaroa, Kaiapoi and Rangiora. This is NZ$20 + S&H and can be purchased from our online store Click Here